“Pull over I think that house is on fire!” senior Montgomery student Porter Simpler yelled from the backseat of the car.
It was a typical sunny Florida morning at Blue Mountain Beach and the Trinity Presbyterian School student was riding to get breakfast with his friends from Montgomery Academy on their third day of spring break. They were staying a few houses down.
That’s when he noticed flames were coming from one of the beach houses. He cut his phone conversation short, shouted to his friends and jumped out the car.
“It was a necessity,” Simpler said over the phone. “I did what anyone one would do. We need to look after each other.
“It was just a blessing that I was there when I was.”
The fire was small when Simpler saw it, coming from what he thought looked like an air conditioning unit. It quickly engulfed the wooden beach home and damaged the house adjacent to it where several Montgomery Academy senior girls were staying at.
However, before the blaze could hurt anyone, Simpler went to the front door, told those inside about the fire and rushed to try and put out the blaze with a nearby garden hose he said. He began yelling for everyone inside to get out while his friend, Ford Cleveland called 911.
South Walton fire crews arrived quickly on the scene at Blue Mountain Beach Road and County Road 83 at around 9:15 a.m. on Monday according to reports. The family inside at the time made it out safely.
One woman began to panic and Simpler sat with…
click here to read more.