Pugh announces next steps to get Civilian Review Board up and running—it’s still a mess though – Maryland News

Pugh announces next steps to get Civilian Review Board up and running—it’s still a mess though – Maryland News

The wheels are in motion to get the Civilian Review Board, the citizen-run independent police oversight agency, started in Baltimore—semi-formally announced on the day the CRB was supposed to meet for the first time.

OK, some background: Last week, Mayor Catherine Pugh‘s office gave us the runaround when we asked for names and details about the Civilian Review Board, which it turned out did not exist yet. Then, Jill Carter, director of the Office of Civil Rights and Wage Enforcement, told us she was confident it would come together and that she had sent candidate recommendations to Pugh a month earlier.

Pugh’s spokesperson, Anthony McCarthy, told us that the mayor was working on it and that it would all be sorted out before the CRB meeting scheduled for April 20. McCarthy did not answer follow-up questions about the nomination process—questions about the names Carter submitted to Pugh, whether people would be prepared to attend the scheduled April 20 meeting, whether the nominees had been briefed on the process, and about contacting nominees.

Early this morning, Carter said she knew today’s meeting would be canceled but said she was told letters had indeed been sent out, indicating that the ball was rolling.

At a press conference highlighting the Community Oversight Task Force, Pugh publicized a new website dedicated to all things related to the consent decree but offered few details on the Civilian Review Board, even after The Baltimore Sun’s Kevin Rector asked about it. He and the rest of the reporters at the presser were told they could get the names from City…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment