1942 saw Dedication of the County Coliseum – Texas News

1942 saw Dedication of the County Coliseum – Texas News

Trish Long , El Paso Times
1:02 a.m. MT May 20, 2017

The El Paso County Exposition and Livestock Coliseum was dedicated 75 years ago on May 20, 1942, and 3,000 people were expected to attend the Chamber of Commerce annual dinner preceding the dedication. The cost of the coliseum was $321,000, the architect was Percy McGhee and the contractor was R.E. McKee. Nearly 7,000 people attended the dinner and dedication ceremony.

The following article describes the dedication:

Terming it a “sound investment and a monument to El Paso’s progressiveness,” Lt. Gov. H.L. Winfield last night formally dedicated the new $321,000 Coliseum and Livestock exposition building at the close of a colorful program.

The dedicatory ceremony was held along with the annual banquet of the Chamber of Commerce and local observance of National Cotton Week.

“The completion of the magnificent edifice is just one more example of the spirit which prevails here in El Paso and in the Southwest,” Mr. Winfield said. “It’s that spirit which will help carry the nation to victory in the current war. It’s that spirit which will bring us a lasting peace when the war is over.”

MORE:

1950s: Juvenile gangs terrorize El Paso streets

1895: Interesting chat about John Wesley Hardin

1916: El Pasoans march for preparedness

Chris P. Fox, general manager of the Chamber of Commerce, presented one of the most colorful programs in local history to El Pasoans viewing the coliseum for the first time.

The program lacked…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment