Local items available at the farmers markets this week:
• Bell pepper
• Dog treats
• Green beans
• Jalapeno peppers
• Onions, red, white and yellow
• Patty cake squash
• Potatoes, new
• Tomatoes, green and red
• Baked goods, variety of fresh frozen vegetables, homemade ice cream, fresh ground corn meal, dried herbs, fresh herbs, plants, pickles and jellies, pepper sauce, spices, bath and body creams and soap, beeswax candles, quilts, crafts and homemade children’s clothes.
Area farmers markets:
• Tuscaloosa Farmers Market: 7 a.m.-noon Tuesday and Saturday at Tuscaloosa River Market, 1900 Jack Warner Parkway.
• Homegrown Alabama Farmers Market: 3-6 p.m. Thursday at Canterbury Episcopal Church, 812 Fifth Ave. Tuscaloosa.
• Northport Farmers Market: 6 a.m.–noon Wednesday and Saturday at 4150 Fifth St., Northport.
Strawberry freezer jam
• 2 cups crushed fresh strawberries
• 4 cups sugar
• 1 (1.75 oz.) package dry pectin
• 3/4 cup water
Mix crushed strawberries with sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the pectin into the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 1 minute. Stir the boiling water into the strawberries. Allow to stand for 3 minutes before pouring into jars or other storage containers. Place tops on the containers, and leave for 24 hours. Place into freezer and store frozen until ready to use.
click here to read more.