The Hillsboro City Council at its June 6 meeting authorized staff to initiate a bond financing package for street projects estimated to cost around $3.9 million.
The list of bond issue projects include:
• First Street from Adams to Wilson, replacing asphalt with 6-inch concrete;
• Wilson Street from First to C, replacing asphalt with 6-inch concrete and curbing after laying new water line.
• East Grand Avenue from Washington to Adams, with curb and gutter.
• West Grand Avenue, Ash to Hickory, replacing existing concrete with 6-inch concrete.
• B Street from Lincoln to Adams, with new concrete.
The council continued its discussion about whether to replace the historic brick on East Grand with concrete, or go with a “concrete paver” brick. That decision will be made once the council receives a contract price for both options.
The East Grand project also will include additional off-street parking along the north side of Grand, from Jefferson Street east to the alley.
A second list of street projects, valued at $759,684, would require Community Development Block Grants. The 50-50 share would make the city obligated to pay for half, which would be $379,842.
Paine reminded the council CDBG projects are competitive, so there is no guarantee the city’s proposal will be selected.
The CDBG projects are:
• Second Street, from Main to Lincoln;
• Lincoln Street, from First to Third;
• Washington Street, from First to Second.
D Street add-on
Although the project didn’t rate as highly on the priority list this spring, the council reconsidered the need for…
click here to read more.