A lot has changed in downtown Shawnee over the years.
Looking at the photo from 1917, there appeared to be several residential buildings in the area. The home behind the horse and wagon is where the Shawnee News-Star is currently located.
The vacant lot on the corner, directly behind the horse in the 1917 photo, is where the current United States Post Office is located.
The Post Office moved into the current building on Bell and Ninth in 1924. It was remodeled and the main entrance changed from Bell Street to Ninth Street in the 1980s.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Shawnee’s population jumped from 15,348 in 1920 to 23,283 in 1930, proving there was a need for a much larger facility.
The first post office for Shawnee was located in a brick building at Beard and Farrall. It then moved to 113 N. Broadway. It then moved to the Estes Building across the street on Broadway, then further north on Broadway to a building north of City Hall.
click here to read more.