Bond set at $100,000 for Van Buren man accused of destroying Ten Commandments monument – News – Times Record – Arkansas News

Bond set at $100,000 for Van Buren man accused of destroying Ten Commandments monument – News – Times Record – Arkansas News

LITTLE ROCK — A $100,000 bond was set Thursday for a Van Buren man accused of destroying a Ten Commandments monument on state Capitol grounds less than 24 hours after it was installed.

Also Thursday, the state legislator who led the push for the monument said the makers of the movie “God’s Not Dead 2,” which was filmed in Little Rock, have offered to help pay to replace the 6-foot-tall granite marker.

Michael Tate Reed II, 32, made an initial court appearance a day after allegedly driving his car into the monument. Pulaski County District Judge Wayne Gruber set Reed’s bond and ordered him to appear in court again Sept. 7.

In a Facebook video posted just before the 4:47 a.m. incident, Reed made a statement in support of separation of church and state. A Facebook live video on Reed’s page appears to have been taken from a vehicle driving into the monument.

Reed was previously arrested in October 2014 after driving a truck into a Ten Commandments monument at the Oklahoma state Capitol. He was admitted to a hospital for mental treatment and later released to the care of his mother in Fort Smith, according to the Tulsa World. He was not criminally prosecuted in connection with that incident.

In 2015, the Arkansas Legislature and Gov. Asa Hutchinson approved legislation by Sen. Jason Rapert, R-Bigelow, requiring the state to allow a Ten Commandments monument to be installed on Capitol grounds at private expense.

The American Heritage and History Foundation, which Rapert founded, paid for the monument through a fund drive that raised over $26,000. The monument was installed Tuesday morning.

Rapert said Thursday the…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment