East County is filled with storied and deep history. And luckily for residents, there are three museums filled with artifacts, articles and memorabilia tracing the area’s early beginnings, made even more interesting with recent donations of old newspapers, microfilms and city artifacts from the East Bay Times and Antioch/Brentwood/Oakley/Pittsburg News office.
The Antioch, East County and Pittsburg historical museums offer wonderful slices of the past, and now volunteers have many more artifacts to sort through with these recent donations as the East Bay Times cleans out its offices and prepares to move to new digs at 3260 Lone Tree Way. Here’s a summary of the area museums and some of their new acquistions:
Antioch Historical Museum, 1500 W. Fourth St., Antioch; 925-757-1326, email@example.com. Like the other two local museums, Antioch’s is housed in a historical building — the first high school built in Contra Costa County. Spearheaded by the Antioch Woman’s Club, the bond was passed in 1908 for $20,000 by the Antioch, Pittsburg, Somersville, Nortonville and Live Oak school districts. Riverview Union High School opened in 1910. The district dissolved in 1925 with the last class graduating in 1931.
The Antioch Historical Society recorded the brick schoolhouse with the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. The schoolhouse became the group’s home in 1999. In addition to several specialty rooms, the museum houses the extensive Sports Legends Hall of Fame. The museum is open from 1 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays with docents on hand to answer any questions.
The Antioch Historical Museum recently received a big donation of…
click here to read more.