STOCKTON — The family of a man shot to death by a Stockton police officer in 2014 has agreed to a $90,000 settlement with the city.
City Attorney John Luebberke said only that the case has been settled in its “entirety” and provided no additional details Friday. The City Council unanimously approved the settlement with survivors of 45-year-old Donald Ray “Donnie Ray” Haynes earlier this week.
Without a settlement, the case would have gone to trial later this year in federal court in Sacramento, Haynes family attorney DeWitt Lacy said Friday afternoon. Lacy said settlement discussions were confidential but added, “Both sides entered into negotiations in good faith in an attempt to resolve this litigation.”
The city does not dispute that veteran Officer Robert Johnson III shot Haynes to death during a traffic stop on Airport Way near Sixth Street late in the morning on Feb. 9, 2014.
Haynes’ widow, Sylvia Haynes, filed a wrongful death and civil rights lawsuit 13 months later against four Stockton police officers.
According to the complaint filed by the family in March 2015, Haynes was the only passenger in a Chevrolet Impala driven by his sister, Anntionett Haynes, when the traffic stop occurred.
The complaint alleges Donnie Ray Haynes had his hands up and was unarmed as he stepped out of the car when instructed to do so by one of the officers.
The suit says Johnson, a veteran officer, fired three shots at Haynes before he was completely out of the vehicle, striking him twice. It goes on to allege Johnson fired six more shots at the prone and wounded Haynes, some of them striking him,…
click here to read more.