Locals and visitors celebrate in Johnsville – California News

Locals and visitors celebrate in Johnsville – California News

John Work cooks up coal and shapes it into bottle openers. Work’s fire is kept alive by the blacksmith shop’s recently repaired bellows, which were originally patented in 1874.

On a bright sunny Saturday in Johnsville, two large black horses trotted toward the museum with a wooden carriage in tow, signaling the start of Johnsville’s annual Gold Discovery Days celebration July 15 and 16.

Campers and locals quickly descended on Plumas-Eureka State Park, and by 10:30 a.m., the sleepy museum was bustling with activity.

Men and women dressed from head to toe in old-time garb got behind their respective booths, and participants milled from station to station, getting a short glimpse of what life was like back in the 1800s.

Kids also rushed from station to station to fill out a stamp book that, when completed, won them a goody bag full of items donated by volunteers.

State park workers like Debra Cable, who manned the bustling archaeology table, guided adults and kids alike through various activities, which captured the history of the mill and the Gold Rush.

The small, refurbished blacksmith shop, which became a feature at Plumas-Eureka State Park after it was rescued from a ranch near Frenchman Lake, was open to the public, and volunteers showed how blacksmiths shaped metal and stone during the late 19th century.

The local Graeagle Lions Club also pitched in at the event by serving up burgers, chips and drinks.

The Lions Club’s chapter president Mike Kirk said that all the money the group raises at fundraisers like Gold Discovery Days goes back into the community through community projects and donation programs.

Across the street from the main park, the old Moriarty…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment