The White House acknowledged Tuesday that President Trump “weighed in as any father would” in helping draft a misleading statement for Donald Trump Jr. last month about his meeting with Russians during the presidential campaign.
By the acknowledgment, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders seemed to confirm the gist of a Washington Post story, published late Monday, that Trump dictated the statement for his son while aboard Air Force One, overruling advisors who wanted a fuller, more candid explanation of the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower.
Sanders’ comments in effect refuted Trump’s lawyer and frequent spokesperson, Jay Sekulow, who said two weeks ago on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that “the president was not involved in the drafting of the statement.” Sekulow said much the same on ABC’s “This Week.”
Four days after Trump Jr. issued his initial, inaccurate statement on July 8 about the 2016 meeting, his father suggested to reporters he was largely in the dark about it, and assumed his son and the son’s lawyers wrote the statement.
“I only heard about it two or three days ago,” the president said. He added praise for his son’s “transparency” on the issue.
The initial statement for Trump Jr. written on the president’s plane said that the younger Trump and a Russian lawyer “primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children” and their meeting was unrelated to the campaign.
Sanders said Tuesday that “the statement that Don Jr. issued is true. There’s no inaccuracy in the statement.”
Yet the son’s own emails showed otherwise last month. The emails, which he released just as the New York Times planned to publish…
click here to read more.