Firefighters treated a dozen crew members on a container ship for exposure to a concentrated industrial solvent at the Port of Long Beach, and one firefighter was hurt in a fall, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.
The exposure was at about 9:45 a.m., at Pier G, Berth 232 where a flammable liquid leaked from a 6,000-gallon tank on the container vessel, Harbour Bridge, according to the Coast Guard.
The chemical was identified as propyl acetate, a solvent that in small doses smells of pears and is used as a food flavor. But in large amounts and concentrated form, it can severely irritate eyes, skin and lungs.
The 12 crew members were treated, and one taken to an emergency room. A Long Beach firefighter was injured in a fall of some sort, but details of that were not available.
The Coast Guard captain in charge of the port then set up a safety zone of 150 yards around the ship to facilitate, assessment and clean-up operations.
The spill was being cleaned up by the Long Beach Fire Department Hazardous Materials team, along with Patriot Environmental Services. As of 6 p.m., the Long Beach Fire Department said the container had been drained and the solvent secured.
Hazmat operations were ending at the port, according to the fire department.
—City News Service
Note: This story has been updated to show the end of hazmat operations.
click here to read more.