San Bernardino County poised to end state of emergency from 2015 terror attack – California News

San Bernardino County poised to end state of emergency from 2015 terror attack – California News


The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday will consider ending its nearly 18-month emergency proclamation stemming from the Dec. 2, 2015, terrorist attack at the Inland Regional Center that left 14 dead and 22 wounded.

On Dec. 15, 2015, at its first meeting following the attack at the IRC, the Board of Supervisors approved an emergency proclamation allowing the county to seek state and federal funding to recoup some of the costs associated with the attack and recovery efforts.

The city of San Bernardino and the state also declared emergencies following the attack, declared an act of terrorism by the FBI. Thirteen of the 14 victims who died in the shooting were employees of the county’s Environmental Health Services division, which was hosting an all-day training seminar and holiday-themed luncheon in a leased IRC conference room at the time of the shooting.

The county has been granted a total of $8.5 million in reimbursements, but very little of it has actually been received by the county, county spokesman David Wert said Monday in an email.

Of the $8.5 million allocated, $2.8 million is attributable to the proclamation, said Wert, adding that of that $2.8 million, the county has actually received $165,000 to date.

Wert said there are various reasons why the county has not received all its funding, including the pace of the federal bureaucracy, the fact that some costs are still being incurred and some information is still being compiled.

County health inspector Syed Rizwan Farook had been in attendance at the training seminar before stepping out and returning about 20 minutes later with his wife,…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment