The family of a fourth student allegedly sexually assaulted by Hamilton High School football players plans to file a multimillion-dollar notice of claim, according to the family’s attorney.
The $7 million notice of claim against the Chandler Unified School District is expected to be filed on Wednesday, attorney Daniel Raynak told The Arizona Republic. Three families already have filed claims seeking a total of $20 million in damages over allegations that coaches took steps to cover up hazing on campus.
The notices of claim filed so far contend the district was negligent in supervising and hiring the school’s football coaches, who “did nothing to prevent these attacks.”
Two families are asking to settle their claims against the district for $7 million each. The other family is seeking $6 million. Those claims were submitted May 24.
The fourth family recently stepped forward, Raynak said.
Court documents say four victims younger than 15 were assaulted between September 2015 and January 2017. Three football players face charges, with one being prosecuted as an adult.
Chandler police have recommended to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office that criminal charges be brought against Hamilton Principal Ken James, former Hamilton football head coach Steve Belles and Athletic Director Shawn Rustad.
Ex-Hamilton High School coach Steve Belles talked with Brad Cesmat about hazing, the criminal…
click here to read more.