The Novato High football team has yet to play a meaningful down this year but arguably picked up its biggest victory of the season on Monday, the first official day of practice for teams around the county.
The varsity team needed to field 20 to 25 players for practice on Monday to ensure its season would not be canceled. Last week the school announced it was petitioning the league to drop varsity football because of a lack of players.
All told, 23 players had been cleared for practice and the season will take place as scheduled, with Novato playing its season opener at 2 p.m. on Aug. 26 at home against Newark Memorial High School.
“I’m really looking forward to it,” Novato running back Colton Carry said. “I’m happy. I’ve been training all summer so I’m hoping we can do some good things this season.”
The immediate future of the varsity team at Novato was thrown into doubt over the past couple of weeks, beginning with former coach Jason Searle resigning on July 25 to spend more time with his family.
Low turnout for summer practices then led to the school petitioning to drop the varsity level of the sport for the upcoming season. Novato has fielded a varsity football team every year since 1958 and was the dominant team in the MCAL in the 2000s, winning multiple league titles and appearing in the state title game in 2007.
“It was just surreal,” Carry said of the moment about the petition. “From us having a state team back in the day, it’s hard to believe a school with such glory back in the day could not support a team. I didn’t really comprehend it. I didn’t…
click here to read more.