Islamic State claims responsibility for bomb blast in London subway that injured 29 as officials raise terror threat to critical – California News

Islamic State claims responsibility for bomb blast in London subway that injured 29 as officials raise terror threat to critical – California News

An Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack that rocked London on Friday — the fifth this year — and U.K. officials raised the terror threat to critical, meaning another attack is expected.

The attack sent panicked commuters running for cover during the morning rush hour and sparked a massive manhunt for the perpetrator, who remained at large.

Authorities said the incident was caused by an improvised explosive device that had been left inside a bucket in a supermarket cooler bag on a busy subway car.

Photos on social media showed a white bucket on fire inside the train.

The train was entering Parsons Green station in leafy southwest London, heading toward central London, when the bomb burst into flames around 8:20 a.m. local time. It reportedly had a timer attached, but it was not immediately clear whether it detonated as planned or earlier than intended.

Twenty-nine people were injured, most suffering flash burns, but no one was killed — unlike the other terror attacks this year that left dozens killed and scores more hurt. Police immediately launched a manhunt, but the individual who caused the blast was still at large later in the day Friday.

Prime Minister Theresa May summoned a meeting of the government’s emergency COBRA committee and described the attack as “cowardly.”

At first she said the nationwide terror threat level would remain at “severe,” and that it was under review.

Later May announced that the level would be raised to “critical,” and that “a further attack may be imminent.”

“The joint terrorism and analysis center, the independent organization…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment