Canelo vs. Golovkin live updates: It’s fight night in Las Vegas – California News

Canelo vs. Golovkin live updates: It’s fight night in Las Vegas – California News

The possibility exists that Canelo Alvarez will defeat Gennady Golovkin on Saturday night, turn to face the man who delivered his first world-title belt, and not accept his latest prized possession.

Last year, Alvarez returned his World Boxing Council middleweight belt to the sanctioning body after failing to fulfill a promise signed by his promoter to meet mandatory, No. 1 challenger Golovkin (37-0, 33 knockouts).

Golovkin was given the belt, adding to the World Boxing Assn. and International Boxing Federation belts he’d previously won.

Since then, Mexico’s Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) has turned his back on the powerful, Mexico-based body that delivered him his first belt in 2011.

WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said he’s mystified by Alvarez’s anger toward the situation.

On Wednesday, Sulaiman arrived in Las Vegas with a newly designed belt for the bout.

The strap includes the flags of Alvarez’s Mexico and Golovkin’s home country, Kazakhstan, with a golden “WBC” center surrounded by mini-flags of other nations, stamped with the date written in Spanish, “16 DE SEPTIEMBRE” with “Mexico” below that.

Sulaiman was prepared to speak at Wednesday’s news conference, to show the belt and speak of the pride he felt in offering the specially designed piece for this anticipated clash.

However, Sulaiman said he was told by Alvarez’s promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, not to attend the news conference.

Sulaiman said he plans to be in the ring after Saturday’s fight and offer the belt to whoever wins.

Alvarez has refused to discuss the situation extensively when asked about it by the U.S. media.

When he was asked in a conference call by the Los Angeles Times earlier…

click here to read more.

Share this post

Post Comment