The Arizona Wildcats defeated UTEP 63-16 Friday night at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas. Here are some pertinent notes, quotes and statistics:
* QB Brandon Dawkins set career highs in completion percentage (85.7), passing touchdowns (three) and total TDs (six).
* Shun Brown is the first Wildcat to have multiple punt returns for touchdowns in the same season since Mike Thomas in 2008. Brown also caught a 36-yard TD pass. All four of his career TD receptions have covered at least 30 yards.
* Arizona scored 35 points in the second quarter, the most the Wildcats have scored in a quarter since they scored 35 in the second quarter vs. Northern Arizona in 2015.
* Junior safety Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles has three interceptions and one fumble recovery. His four takeaways are more than any Wildcat had all of last season.
* Freshmen Bryce Wolma and Nathan Tilford each scored their first career touchdowns. (Tilford finished with two scores). After catching five passes last week, Wolma caught six vs. UTEP. Redshirt freshman J.J. Taylor caught his first career TD pass.
* Friday night marked Arizona’s first victory outside of Tucson since the 2015 New Mexico Bowl.
* Freshman quarterbacks Rhett Rodriguez and Donavan Tate each completed their first career passes. Rodriguez’s went to tight end Jamie Nunley, who recorded the first two receptions of his career. Tate’s went to senior Jack Banda, a senior defensive end who played tight end Friday. It was his first career catch.
* Tate and linebackers JB Brown and Anthony Pandy made their college…
click here to read more.